Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sunset Alert! Sunset Alert!

(I kept my eye on this sky, knowing it would develop into something special.)

My family has a tradition that started, I think, when I was a teen. We started yelling, "Sunset Alert! Sunset Alert!" whenever we saw one of those sunsets that AZ is famous for. I remember getting phone calls at home (pre-cell phone, mind you) if a sunset was in progress. In turn, I would call home to alert my parents if I was off on any of the many college gallivants. No surprise, when I moved into an apartment, these calls continued. It was really am "I'm-thinking-about-you-and-want-to-share-this-special-moment-with-you!" call. It was always something special to receive a "Sunset Alert!" call. These special calls to and from my parents continued after I was married and were still treasured. Now, my parents are all over and we're in Colorado. When we saw some of our first Colorado sunsets, my heart found a home amidst the colors. I hadn't given up sunsets by moving to CO. I was relieved. And although I can't call my parents and let them know to look out their window, I still think of "Sunset Alerts!" every time I behold them. I will yell up at Jeff to look out (he's usually wrapping up work), and for a brief moment, as we stare out different windows, we're connected by the beauty. I guess that's why I love them!

When Jeff and I were dating, I mentioned once that my favorite color was whatever color the sunsets was. Sometimes you never know what someone will actually hear. Well, when our church threw us a shower just before we were married, one of the games they created was that version of the Newly Wed Game. They took me away and asked Jeff several questions for him to answer on my behalf. When I returned, they asked me the same questions to see which ones Jeff got correct. One was asking about my favorite color.... "did he hear me? Did he listen? Would he remember? Did he just pass it off as something crazy? Maybe I should say purple!" I swallowed and said, "I've said that my favorite was the color of the sunset." knowing very well how many colors that could encompass. Everyone murmured and clapped as I realized that Jeff truly had heard and responded with this very personal answer!

There's some silly moments I guess we all treasure as something special. These are some of mine. So, to my Beloved and my dear parents, and now to all of you... "Sunset Alert! Sunset Alert!"

Bonnie

(This photo was about 3 minutes after the first.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

gnarly photos, maaaaan.