Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What NOT to do to your favorite cat's favorite bed

Have you ever had one of those messes that you just walk away from? Perhaps it'll clean itself? This happened three days ago, and since I'm home with (another!) cold this week, it's time to go face the fluff. But, hey, might as well share the joy first!

This spring, we grabbed a Tyson Chicken box from Costco to create a nice box for Cleo. I had stuffed the box with a thin, flat pillow I picked up from Ikea for $2 (a clue, perhaps?). We hoped she'd find comfort in it so we could load it and her in the car for our drives to AZ. She wasn't impressed when we tried it. However, when we got back from a trip, she decided to give it a shot. Now it's become her favorite cozy spot. It's where she goes to hide when kids come. We call it the kitty cave. She loves this pillow. She lives on this pillow. And I disintegrated it on Monday.

I just wanted to clean it. It had 7 months of kitty life on it. I could have scraped up another kitten from it. Now I could scrape up an entire poodle from my floor.

Apparently, the casing melted in the dryer. I opened the dryer and was attacked by the poodle. Jeff wasn't home and so I shut the dryer door and went back upstairs to revel in what I had done. I tried to apologize to the cat, but she didn't seem to realize the magnitude of the problem yet. She also was hungry, so that was a great distraction.

Meantime, I went on a hunt for any other flimsy, crummy pillow in the house. To no avail. The only one was exploded in my laundry room. Unfortunately, I'm wearing socks and the room with the extra bedding was just beyond the laundry room. Now I have exploded poodle all over my house.

Jeff came home and I brightly suggested he go downstairs to see what I had accomplished. Usually this means I rearranged a room while he was gone. Although this idea sometimes fills Jeff with trepidation, he's usually pretty proud of what I can maneuver with out help. He also like the results. So, I imagine this was his expectation as he came down the stairs.

I'm so glad Jeff and I share in the same sense of humor.

Needless to say, now that I've procrastinated some more by blogging this, I'd better git down there and clean it up. I'm hoping the dryer isn't any worse for wear. I have a beautiful potential rats nest in the remains of the pillow (which is very NOT flat nor thin anymore) and need to decide how to corral the fluff.

Oh, and as I went down to take these photos, I discovered an antique-ish light (yes, mom, the silver floor-to-ceiling with the three globes one) had fallen and broke in our family room. Yay.

Thank you, Lord, for my shop vac.

Bonnie

PS - Cleo is not impressed with the substitute pillow I shoved in the box. I'm telling her, "cope!"


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Save it. You never know when a guest will punch a hole in your wall that you need to fix so you don't lose your security deposit. Unless, of course, you already have a sufficient collection of dryer lint.

Bonnie Mowry said...

Oh, HI Brandon & Heidi! I read your comment to Jeff and he cracked up! Of course that meant there was a story to tell! After concluding, he said you guys sold the container of lint and that got me thinking... Ah-HA! It's Christmas! I could use it to flock the Christmas tree!

(Jeff will kill me!)
Bon